Job TitleActivity Specialist Arts and Crafts
Responsible toHead Counselor
- To deliver engaging and age-appropriate arts and craft activities in line with camp philosophy.
- To ensure all campers have fun, they are safe and have the opportunity for personal creativity.
- To assist in the organization of the craft supplies, equipment, and facilities for all planned activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Design and implement age/ability appropriate arts and craft activities that meet camp outcomes.
- Continuously monitor and evaluate the abilities of campers and supporting staff. Allow for spontaneity and extension beyond the planned framework.
- Teach planned arts and craft activities using a variety of art mediums, making particular use of the environment’s natural resources.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of any events especially those requiring decorations, themes or costumes.
- Teach with passion and enthusiasm, and be an active leader and role model. Do the best you can every time!
- Ensure that you, your assistants and camper are suitably informed and act upon on all camp health, safety, and education procedures.
- Implement staff training on the delivery of arts and craft activities. Ensure staff is fully aware of their responsibilities in order to meet activity outcomes.
- Responsible for the care and maintenance of supplies and facilities used for arts and crafts.
- Prior to and on completion of each activity, conduct checks for health, safety and cleanliness of equipment and the environment. All areas must be free of hazards and debris.
- On completion of each activity, ensure arts and craft supplies are safely and securely put away in their appropriate places.
- On tidying away ensure a clear inventory is completed and any supplies in need of replacing are planned for and brought to the attention of your Head Counselor in a timely manner.
- Adhere to and ensure others adhere to all safety and security rules and procedures. Set good examples all of the time to staff and campers in regard to teamwork, using initiative, being proactive and going the extra mile!
- Other Duties Assist in the planning and participate in other camp activities as assigned such as evening activities, special events, and other camp functions.
- Adhere to and ensure others adhere to, all safety and security rules and procedures.
Qualifications and skill requirements
- Documented experience in the planning and delivery of arts and crafts to children.
- Current First Aid/CPR
- A passion for delivering arts and craft activities using a variety of facilities and mediums.
- Enthusiasm for and experience in the creation of decorations and costumes for a variety of events.
- Ability to demonstrate self-motivation and teach with enthusiasm.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Be able to work within a team of campers and staff and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff where appropriate.
- Ability to observe staff and camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess the strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Ability to endure prolonged standing, bending, walking long distances, hiking, and stretching.
- Necessary eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity to manipulate outdoor equipment and camp activities.
- The normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate camper activities/programs.
- Willing to live in a camp setting and work irregular hours with limited or simple equipment and facilities; and with daily exposure to the sun, heat, and animals such as bugs, snakes, bats, etc.